Sunday, November 9, 2008

Weekend Review & Recipe - Spaghetti Carbonara

We actually didn't have any set plans for this weekend so it was pretty laid back.

Friday, for the first time since I had Palmer, I was able to go to the gym and get a good workout. One of the perks of my new job is a free membership to the fitness center, and as a member I receive one hour free a day of childcare. Exercising felt great! I actually wasn't as out of shape as I thought I would be (I guess those mommy muscles are pretty well developed), but I must say that my stomach is so incredibly weak since the c-section. It about killed me to do 50 crunches. It was so nice to have a short break from the demands of motherhood and do something for myself. I just might become an exercise fanatic!

Friday night we went out to dinner at Greg's favorite restaurant (I really like it too) Texas Roadhouse. The food was really good; you can't get anything better than their warm rolls with honey cinnamon butter. But it ended up not being much fun, because Palmer screamed the whole time. We took turns walking him around the crowded restaurant and outside, but the moment we went back to the table to eat, he cried loud and hard. The same thing happened the last time we went to the Olive Garden. I think he is acting up so much because he sees us eating and wants to eat too. Unfortunately he can't eat what we are having and it's not to easy to spoon feed a baby food at a bustling restaurant. I'm thinking, from now on, if we want to have a pleasant and relaxing time going out to eat we will have to get a babysitter.

That evening we watched a good movie, Lars and the Real Girl. It's about a lonely man who purchases a doll to act as his companion. He truly believes the doll is real and his friends and family go along with the delusion in order to help him work through his emotional baggage. I would have never given it a chance if my friend hadn't recommended it to me, but I am glad we did. It was funny, poignant and very touching. So if your up for a good artistic film, give it a try.

And finally Sunday we had my side of the family over for dinner. We get together with them every other Sunday for a potluck dinner. The person in charge of the main course hosts. I made spaghetti carbonara. My sister Sariah is pictured enjoying the dish. I had to substitute turkey bacon because my sister is allergic to pork, and had to made a glutton free version of the meal because my brother-in-law and my nephew are allergic to wheat. We also have allergies to or intolerances of garlic, nuts, citrus, milk, and eggs in the mix. It's always a challenge to figure out something that everyone can eat. The spaghetti carbonara recipe was a wedding shower gift. It is very, very easy to prepare and is a yummy dish. Enjoy!

Spaghetti Carbonara

6 slices on bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
12 oz. spaghetti
1 beaten egg
1 cup half and half
2 tbs. Butter
½ c. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Cook spaghetti for 8-10 minutes until tender but still firm. Meanwhile, for sauce, combine egg, half and half, and butter in a small sauce pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until egg mixture just coats a metal spoon (about 6 minutes). Immediately pour sauce over spaghetti; toss gentle to coat. Add bacon, cheese and parsley; toss to mix. Season with pepper.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I remember Sammy throwing fits at restaurants.....they eventually get over it but you never quite know when that will be! This recipe looks good too...i will have to try!