Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Extravaganza

We spent Thanksgiving with my side of the family this year. We had dinner at my sister London's house. She set a beautiful table. Each of us brought a couple items; I was in charge of mashed potatoes, and pies (I made pumpkin and caramel pecan with homemade whipping cream to top them off). Everything was super yummy and from scratch. Palmer tried his first bites of pureed turkey. It was not a hit. He did however enjoy his pureed sweet potatoes and green beans.

Friday morning my sisters and I woke at 3:30 am to hit the sales. It is a tradition that we go together every year. We love the thrill of the sales, the crowds and the all around madness. This year was by far my most successful. We made great time and were done by noon, with a breakfast break at Village Inn in the mix. I got everything I set out to get, including a killer deal on a big screen LCD TV (thanks to my pushy sister who insisted to all the customers that the line started behind us... and yes, we were those three crazy woman dancing and screaming in line at Sears, at 5:00 am, when the cashier informed us we were getting the last TV in stock). Greg and I are forgoing gifts this year and instead buying a nice big television to play with as a family. We had planned to wait until Christmas to get it out, but by the time I got home from shopping Greg had already set it all up; he was too excited. I must admit I didn't mind too much, and it has been thoroughly enjoyed since. We gave Palmer his gift early too, so it might be a bit of a let down Christmas morning this year. We'll just have to savor those stocking gifts, I guess.

One downer about the holiday was that I had the stomach flu. I made it through the dinner and the shopping, but only because I was pretty determined not to miss out on the fun. I am finally feeling better. However, I don't know how long it'll be before I can look at Thanksgiving food again and not get queasy. It was worth it though... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Isn't early morning shopping the GREATEST?? Last year, I was on bed rest and felt so bad that I missed out on all the fun. Not this year though. We splurged and Jay and I got us a counter height dining table! I am super excited. But, I told Jay we can't put it up until Christmas. I want to wait...

Rie Pie said...

shopping is awesome!! ps. I still have stuff in your car

Rie Pie said...

ps. I kept trying to get an unhappy eating turkey picture... but he is just to dang smiley. lol