Friday, November 21, 2008

Read It, Saw It, Loved It

Our book group read The Secret Life of Bees this month. I've been wanting to read it for a long time and I'm glad I finally had a reason to do so. I have to say, I just loved it! It is a touching story that is beautifully written. I also enjoyed being able to discuss the characterization, themes and symbolism in the novel with some good friends. Annabel, the host this month, made honey cake, which I loved because it was yummy and because it went along with the theme! Here are a few of my favorite lines from the book.

"She reminded me that the world is really one big bee yard, and the same rules worked fine in both places: Don't be afraid, as no life-loving bee wants to sting you. Still, don't be an idiot; wear long sleeves and long pants. Don't swat. Don't even thing about swatting. If you feel angry, whistle. Anger agitates, while whistling melts a bee's temper. Act like you know what you are doing, even if you don't. Above all, send the bees love. Every little thing wants to be loved."

"She liked to tell everyone that women made the best beekeepers, 'cause they have a special ability built into them to love creatures that sting."

"You have to find a mother inside yourself. We all do. Even if we alreay have a mother, we still have to find this part of ourselves inside."

My friend, Tennisa, and I went to see the movie after our book group. It too was lovely. It stuck to the book pretty closely, and the actresses did a wonderful job portraying the characters. However, I am glad I read the novel first though, because I was able to fully appreciate parts of the movie that I otherwise would not have identified.

If you are looking for a good read, I definitely suggest The Secret Life of Bees. If you are looking for other suggestions or reviews, feel free to check out my profile on http://www.goodreads.com/. I would love to have more book buddies to swap suggestions with.

1 comment:

Stoney said...

I want to see the movie. thanks for the review!