Thursday, November 13, 2008

Celebrating Mom's Birthday

Yesterday was my mom's birthday. We decided her birthday, rather than the anniversary of her passing (March 31, 2007), is the best time to remember her and commemorate her life. This is the second year now that my sisters and I have gone out to eat at her favorite restaurant, The Cracker Barrel, in order to celebrate her and all the goodness she brought to our lives. The waitress reminded us a lot of Mother. She was extremely friendly and offered far too much personal information. Afterwards we went to Mom's grave to wish her a happy birthday. It was a short visit because it was very cold and we had two little babes in tow.

I miss her so much. For some reason, I don't know if is it the season change, the upcoming holidays, or the fact that I am not so overwhelmed with being pregnant and having a new baby, but lately I've really had a difficult time not having her around. I've truly noticed an absence in my life. I think I will need to make another trip to her grave again soon, one where I am alone and can let all my emotions out.

Happy birthday to you Mom. You were one of a kind! You are deeply loved and deeply missed. I look forward to the day when I can once again see you and hug you.

2 comments:

Rie Pie said...

I really miss her. I go and see her grave every chance I get. I love you so much and I'm so grateful for you being not only my sister but my best friend.

Lisa said...

Oh girls, you tear at my heart. First, I love you Lera and Rie. Second, I so understand how you feel about missing your mom. What a wonderful blessing you are to each other. Having a sister is one of the greatest blessings. I am often saddened that I will not be able to give that to my daughter. I am so glad you have each other. What a wonderful way to celebrate your dear mother. My sister and I do the same thing we go to Red Lobster on my mom's birthday. Lera, what ever chance you get, let your emotions out. This time of year always makes me a little more sad. You, Rie and I should really get together. I miss having you over to talk. Take care.