Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Behind the Times

Yesterday I realized it had been over a week since I had bathed Palmer. Yikes! It doesn't matter how many to do lists I make, how early I awake or how late I stay up, I never seem to be be able to keep up with everything. Here are some other things I never seem to find the time for:
  1. Laundry. I never get to laundry until I am left with absolutely nothing to wear, and even then it only gets washed. Each weekend I end up with about five loads in the laundry room that I need to fold.
  2. Vacuuming and Dusting. Our home is basically picked up and straightened, but we never seem to get around to the deep cleaning. Just don't look too closely at the baseboards.
  3. The Yard. Our yard has been a nightmare since the day we bought the house. I am so overwhelmed by it; I don't even know where to begin! The front lawn in choppy and the back yard is an absolute jungle. Based on the exterior of our home, we are the white trash family in our neighborhood.
  4. Dejunking. Since we purchased the house from my Dad, we inherited a whole lot of my parents' odds and ends. The attic, the garage and the backroom are full of my parents' unwanted belongings.
  5. Exercising. I have a newfound passion for working out now that I have a free gym membership from my job and with that an hour of free daycare a day. I love having the break to do something for myself, and I plan to go everyday I am not working (I don't think Palmer could handle another hour in the day care on the days I do work), yet, sadly, I only seem to make it about once a week.
  6. The Mail. We are notorious for not getting our mail. I'm sure the mailman mutters profanities under his breath each time he opens our stuffed to the brim mailbox.
  7. Visiting Teaching. Once again it is the end of the month and I have not done my visiting teaching. I guess a phone call will have to do it this time.
  8. Shopping. For those of you who knew me in my single life years, this one is a shocker! I love shopping, but between naps and feedings it is just too hard to make it to the store for anything other than the bare essentials. Thankfully, Greg is taking the day after Thanksgiving off from work so that he can watch Palmer while I go shopping; I am so excited!
  9. Writing and Reading. I'm glad I am participating in the book group, otherwise I would never finish a novel. Even so, I start the book for the group the day after it is decided upon and finish the day of the discussion. The time before last, I didn't even finish it. What a shameful admission from an English major! As for writing, I am trying to find the time to redevelop my previous passion. I even started writing a book, a lifetime goal of mine, but am not getting very far because by the time I really get into the flow of it, Palmer awakes from his nap.
  10. And apparently, bathing my son. At least I bathe myself, right? I'm pretty sure if it had been me lacking a dip in the tub, I, as well as many others, would have realized it before a week's time.
After listing all these things I am behind on, I think maybe I should not have spent the last hour reading blogs and posting. Oh well. I guess I can add blogging to the list of things I keep up on. I'll have to make one of those lists soon; might as well look on the positive side, right?

4 comments:

Brian_n_Amy said...

That is AWESOME! Don't feel bad. I too have been guilty of neglecting some of the same things that you listed. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets behind. It's really difficult when you hear about these "super moms" that seem to have an immaculate house and are on top of EVERYTHING. Nice post. It was funny.

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! said...

I can completely sympathize. With 2 kids to get into baths, one of them usually gets neglected. And the laundry...I don't even want to talk about that! Don't feel bad about the things that you don't get done. You're still an amazing lady!! We've all gone through it, or are going through it too!

Rie Pie said...

you're supposed to shower at least once a week?! oops. lol

Lisa said...

Yes, please make a
What I did today list and forget about the "to do list". You are awesome an I can not wait for your get together. thanks for the invite.
see ya soon