Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wiggle Worm

It's been impossible to keep socks on Palmer lately, and he wiggles out of his diaper before we can even get the straps secured.

At night we swaddle him in a light blanket, place him on his back, then cover him with a fleece blanket and then his comforter. Everything is tight and tucked in as we have been advised. Often I find he has wiggled out of his blankets after waking. Since I wasn't watching any additional children today, I went back to sleep with Palmer after his morning feeding. When I went to get him after his nap I found him like this:



Yes, that is my little boy, out of his covers, on his belly, in the corner of his bed, only wearing a diaper. I stood there dumbfounded. Was I so tired this morning that I forgot to put his sleeper back on after changing his diaper? I did remember fiddling with the snaps in my half-consciousness. Did Greg undress him for some reason before heading off to work? I then lifted his covers to see his sleeper, lying inside of his still swaddled blanket. Palmer had not only wiggled out of all his blankets but also, amazingly enough, wiggled out of his sleeper! Is that not the craziest thing? He was so cold; I felt awful. How in the world am I supposed to safeguard against that? My sister suggested duct tape.

6 comments:

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! said...

I wouldn't recommend the duct tape. That's funny he can wiggle so well. You'll definitely have to keep an eye on him!

Rie Pie said...

fa real. craziest thing I've ever heard. At least the sleeper was warm and ready for sleep... ??
I don't know why but in my head I can just picture my palmer doing the "ally mcbeal" baby dance in about 1 month.

Stoney said...

Now that is a first. Crazy.

Angela said...

if is sleeper is really lose you can maybe have him wear a tighter sleeper. it may prevent him for wiggling out. my oldest did the same thing but she took it a step further and took off her diaper. at one point to keep her from taking her diaper and sleeper off we duck taped her diaper on and pin the zipper to her pj's. don't worry something usually works.

Tiffany said...

What a wiggle worm. It only gets better from here. Lilly starts sleeping on her back and ALWAYS ends up facing the opposite way she started, on her belly, and crammed in the corner in the morning. I don't know how she travels so far without waking up, but I'm not complaining.

Lynette said...

Are you sure your little guy isn't trapped inside a 2-1/2 year-old's body? That's crazy!!! Can you imagine when he IS two?!!

p.s. You can pin the bottom of his onesie with a diaper pin. I'm not "recommending" this I am TELLING you to do this -- and *especially* when he's two!! :) :)