Monday, October 6, 2008

Recipe - Chicken Taco Casserole

I made this for dinner this Sunday (Rie, you missed out!). It cooked during conference and made our home smell of Mexican deliciousness! This is a great meal to make ahead because once assembled it can sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or even overnight.

Chicken Taco Casserole

1 pkg. small corn tortillas (I only use half of the package)
3 tbl. butter
3 tbl. flour
2 c. cooked diced chicken
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 c. milk
1 tbl. chili powder
1 small jar green taco sauce
1 small can diced green chilies

Cut or tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces. Line the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish with tortilla pieces. In sauce pan over low heat melt butter, add flour slowly until sauce is smooth. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Add taco sauce and chili powder. Take sauce off the burner once it has thickened. On top of tortilla pieces place a layer of chicken pieces. Top chicken with green chilies. Pour sauce all over the casserole. Top with cheese. Let sit in refrigerator 1-2 hours or even overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

By the way, when I was putting this together I realized we were out of chili powder. I made my own by mixing paprika, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano and onion powder (or you could use garlic powder, I don't because I am allergic). It tasted exactly the same as when I've make it with prepared chili powder.

1 comment:

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! said...

Yummy! I'll definitely be trying this one out!!