Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Teething

Palmer is teething and it is throwing us totally off schedule! He is on ibuprofen pretty much nonstop and he still has a few absolute meltdowns each day. He is not napping well. Last night he even woke up in the middle of the night, and I had to nurse him back to sleep, which hasn't happened in a couple months. I'm exhausted and I know he is exhausted. Yesterday I was struggling to put him down for his afternoon nap. He was screaming and fighting me. To give him a break from being cradled and rocked I laid him across my legs and let him dangle upside down a bit, figuring I'd soon try again to get him ready to sleep when he settled down. Crazily enough, he instantly fell asleep! Sariah was there and took these pictures as proof. Please forgive my disheveled appearance. It had been a long day and I had just finished the day care on top of it.
I'm not sure if hanging upside down somehow relieved some of the pressure in his ears from teething or if he was just utterly exhausted, but for some strange reason this worked.

I need to revisit Baby Wise. I'm not sure if I should adjust his schedule so he is napping and sleeping better or if this teething is just something we have to struggle through. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

4 comments:

Brian_n_Amy said...

Hey Lera!

I'm not sure, but I think it might just be a phase they go through. Tali has DEFINITELY had her share of those moments and she seemed to have gotten over it in about a week or two. Good luck.

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! said...

I love that Palmer fell asleep while upside down. How cute!
Try rubbing baby Tylonel onto his gums. It last longer then baby ambesol and may help with some of the pain. Good luck, teething is rough for both the baby and parents. Hang in there!

Tiffany said...

Lilly is AGAIN going through the "teething phase." She just got tooth number three. Once the tooth breaks through, the madness of no sleep and fussiness will go away. But when the next tooth starts to come, it starts all over again. Ah, the joys of parenting!! Hang in there.

Stoney said...

I don't know if you have ever heard of teething tablets, but I LOVE THEM!!! My kids never responded to the tylenol, or orjel. These are amazing, you can find them at Wal mart you get like 120 for five bucks. Hang in there!! I Cold teething rings help sometimes too. Good luck