Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cunning Children

If there is one thing I have learned from doing day care it is that kids are dang smart. Seriously, I am amazed at just how cunning they can be. Whether it be to gain something they want, to get out of a punishment, or to inform you that they aren't fooled when you propose a game of "hide and go seek" to actually sneak off to the backroom and try to get some laundry folded. Here are a few cases and points:

  1. A little boy I watch made himself throw-up on my carpet to get back at me for putting him in time out.
  2. One day after getting especially dirty outside, I put the kids in the tub while I rocked Palmer to sleep. I was amazed that they were actually being quiet like I asked them. I went in the bathroom ready to commend them and saw that they had made toilet paper wads with the bathwater which were now smeared all over the tub and my bathroom wall.
  3. When I made the rule that they weren't allowed to have any food or drink outside of the kitchen they brought snacks and sippy cups from home packed away in a backpack. They waited until I left the room and quickly scarfed them down, leaving hot cocoa and crumbs all over the couch. They have also hid leftover snack food in their pockets, which upon discovery, claimed they were saving it for their dad.
  4. I sent them downstairs because they were stomping around upstairs. I told them they could play upstairs again once the baby was awake. Surprisingly, they agreed right away and went downstairs without complaint. Two minutes later I hear them on the baby monitor waking Palmer up.
  5. When I cut off the juice flow for one of the children (after 4 cups) she told her younger brother to ask for more juice and then she drank it.
  6. I told the kids to stop using their fingers to pick their noses because it was gross and it was making their noses bleed. Later that day a little boy came up to me, his nose gushing blood. I said, "I told you not to pick your nose," and he replied, "I didn't, I stuck this toy up it!"
  7. When playing at the park one of the children cut herself on a rock. On the way home she told me she was going to tell her mom that I took them to the park that day, where she found a knife that cut her.
  8. I told them that when I am feeding Palmer they need to play by themselves and only to come to me if they need something. He is difficult to nurse and is easily distracted. Every feeding they come to me and stare at me until and I ask them what they need. They say, "Ummm..." for a few minutes until they can think of something that gets them attention such as: a snack, a drink, a tissue, a movie change, the paper torn off a crayon or help washing their hands.
  9. They always ask for more food than I originally give them. I tell them they can have more once they finish what is on their plate because we don't want to waste food. They finish what I served, ask for more, which I give them and then they eat one bite of it and say they are done.
  10. My final example comes from none other than our own four month old. He is already working the system. Last night Greg was rocking Palmer to sleep. Each time Greg looked at Palmer he quickly shut his eyes. When Greg looked away he opened them. This continued five or six times until he eventually was too tired to open them again. Ha! A small victory for us adults, but a victory nonetheless.

When I think back to my youth I often reflect on how stupid I was. Where did this generation of child geniuses come from?

4 comments:

Brian_n_Amy said...

Hahahahaha! That is totally awesome about Palmer! I noticed Tali does the same thing. I think it's hilarious...well unless it's you trying to get them to sleep.

Chris, Kristina, Nathan and....Audrey! said...

That is so hilarious! I couldn't help but laugh, kids sure can be devious! I don't know how you do it, I have trouble just keeping track of my 2 and keeping Nathan out of trouble. You ROCK!

Lisa said...

Lera, You amaze me. I wonder if the parents of these kids are reading your blog? I feel for you. I do not know how you do it. Hang in there. You can win this battle.

zanobo said...

Thanks for stopping by my new blog. I have to let you know that I think you are one of the most creative people I have ever met. Look how busy you are and you still make time to keep up such a creative and well-written blog. Susanna