Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Worth of a Soul

We had a wonderful lesson in Relief Society today on the worth of a soul. Since I've had Palmer I've had a difficult time getting the same spiritual uplifts and insights from my church meetings, just because I cannot focus on them as well. Palmer slept the last half of Relief Society today, so I was able to really take the lesson in and I am so thankful for that. The instructor took a quote from a talk by Thomas S. Monson that said, "The worth of a soul is its capacity to become as God." I was struck by what a profound statement that is. I turned it around in my head and asked myself what is the worth of God? To which I replied God is everything. Nothing is of worth without him, and so we are in turn of that same great worth. This new understanding is so very humbling to me. I still can barely wrap my mind around it.
Some other things mentioned that helped me was that we should not expect perfection from ourselves. I think women especially have a hard time with this. I often feel I am not good enough, not strong enough. Another sister commented that if we come to Christ he will make up the difference. What a blessing! We were also advised to work on the aspects of ourselves that we can change and accept the things we cannot change.
A suggestion was made to keep to do lists (I love lists!) that we can check off and look back over to help us realize the good work we have done. I used to make lists just about every day until I became a SAHM. I will be taking that habit up again. There is some strange sense of satisfaction that comes from checking off an item on your list. What a small thing that can make you feel of worth.
One last thought I'd like to share. It's a quote by Leighton Ford. "God loves us the way we are, but he loves us too much to leave us that way."
I hope those of you who read this know of what great worth you are in the sight God and others who love and know you.

No comments: