Sunday, July 27, 2008

Poem - Naptime

I haven't written anything since my college days, and even then as an English major I mostly did expository writing. I had even felt I had lost the ability to write creatively, the venue of writing I had so defined myself by in high school. My younger sister Rie is also a writer and has recently started writing again. Sariah's poems are amazing! She is so talented. They inspired me to get to pick up the pen once more and revisit my lost obsession. I wrote this today and showed it to Rie. She insisted that I post it. I'm actually a bit nervous to do this. I feel so rusty; like I'm really putting myself out there. But I am proud of her for posting hers and I told her I would follow suit. So here it goes.

Naptime
by Lera Hess

I rock you
back then forth
back then forth
bouncing up
back down
human touch
carried rhythmically

You stretch
yelp, cry, yawn
sing a small cord
swish your face
smack your lips

Eyes fall heavy
a final peek at the world
make sure it’s all there
I am still here

Then you go
leaving a yielding expression
of peace and wellness

2 comments:

Rie Pie said...

I am so proud of you that you posted this!! It really is such a beautiful poem. I love how the words almost physically sway you. It's very moving!!

Stoney said...

I love it Lera. You still can write very well. Keep it up and I hope to see more!!