Friday, July 11, 2008

Arachnophobia

I'll admit it. I am a bit of a thrill seeker. I love roller coaster, haunted houses and really want to go skydiving in the near future. But get me near a bug and I go running. Unfortunately I am forced to confront this fear quite often. When Greg and I lived in the apartments we were on the lower level and many, many multi-legged creatures found their way into our apartment. Now we live in a split level home and our bedroom/bathroom/nursery are all in the lower level, and we have the same problem with unwanted visitors. I usually trap the bugs underneath a bowl or cup and wait for Greg to come home and kill them.

A few nights ago we were putting Palmer to bed. Greg called for me to come and help get the crib ready since he was holding the baby. All I had to do was cross the hallway to make it to the nursery, but alas I could not because of the humongous spider (the size of a 50 cent piece) right in the middle of the hall. It was so big I could see the hair on its body. I tried several times to quickly run by it. Each time giving myself a pep talk, convincing myself that there was no way it could run after me and bite me, that it should be scared of me not me scared of it, that I needed to help my son and this was a silly fear. Nothing worked though because every time I laid my eyes on it I would shriek and shake and huddle back into the corner of our living room. Greg had to put the baby down and kill the spider before I could leave the room. Seriously, what's wrong with me? He asked me what I would have done if he wasn't there. I honestly have no idea.

3 comments:

Stoney said...

I gotta laugh, because the same thing happens in our home. Good thing we have boys so they can get them for us someday. Or in Ethan's case right now want to pick them up and squish them.

Mindy said...

Hahaha, just be glad you don't live here. They are bigger, uglier, scarier. I am just the smae as you when it comes to creepy crawlies, but I think I have gotten over it somewhat--although it was smashed by the end of a 4 foot rake pole, and I was not near it at all, even to take the picture. Thank goodness for zoom! And of course I didn't touch it once it was killed, I waited for Trav to come home and take care of it. We woman are such babies! What would we do without our brave hubbies?

Jenn said...

I didn't know you had arachnophobia. I do too. If the spider is bigger than well if the spider isn't a tiny little guy, and I find it while Jake isn't home, I just put a large glass over it with something on top (just in case it tries to get out). Jake always laughs at me but at least I contain them and I don't have to see them!