Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Recovering from Surgery

Sunday night while feeding Palmer I was overcome with immense pains in my chest. I could hardly breath so Greg rushed me to the ER at Pioneer Valley. They thought I might have a pulmonary embolism so they gave me a CT scan. The CT machine malfunctioned so they decided to ultrasound my legs to make sure I didn't have a blood clot. The ultrasound came back clean. I told them during my last pregnancy ultrasound they had discovered that the pregnancy had given me gallstones. I asked if it could be that, and they said no. They diagnosed me with a panic attack and hyperventilation and sent me home. I was in pain all night and the next day. My sister took me to a family practitioner who said Pioneer Valley's diagnosis was ridiculous. He did some labs and ordered another CT scan (to truly rule out a pulmonary embolism) and ultrasound of my abdomen (to check for a gallstone) at IMC. The CT scan came back normal (took 3 tries to get a correct reading because I have bad veins and the iodine wouldn't flow in right, one time the vein collapsed and the iodine spilt all over me) but they found that I had a gallstone stuck in a viaduct. I was told I would meet with a surgeon the next day and would have an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. I woke up the next morning without pain. I was told to go to IMC for the surgery. We got there and were then told to go to LDS hospital because there was something wrong with IMC's equipment. We met with a GI doctor at LDS who was planning to do an endoscopy first, but decided it wasn't necessary since the pain went away. We then met with the surgeon who was unaware that we were told we would have the surgery that day. We told him we had already gotten babysitters and Greg's work off so he decided to go ahead and do the surgery that day, for which we were very grateful. The surgery went well. I had never been under anaesthesia before and it made me a bit sick. I had to stay over night because the surgery got such a late start. They gave me morphine for the pain at the hospital; that is some crazy medicine! I asked to be released as early as possible (I hate being in the hospital) and they let me go at about 11:00 am. I am feeling okay. I'm in quite a bit of pain but the painkillers they gave me dull it. I am still allowed to nurse, but can not pick up the baby, so Greg is doing most of the mothering at the moment. I am glad the doctors figured out what was wrong, and glad to be home with Palmer. Hopefully this will be my last surgery for quite a while. I feel like I just finally recovered from the C-section!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh My Lera, I am so sorry to hear about all this. I am so sorry you had to go through this ordeal. I would love to help some how. Can I bring a meal over to you? Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Hang in there, this is a lot of trama with a new little baby. You are in my prayers
Love Lisa

Amy said...

Wow Lera! I'm sorry to hear about that. Do you need anything? Please let me know.

Tanya said...

lera, holy moly! i'm glad everything is a-o-k now, besides having to recovery, and that sucks. hope you get feeling better and on your feet asap

Mindy said...

Oh my goodness, I am so glad everything turned out alright. Some doctors / hospitals are so dumb! They think just because you're a patient you don't know anything. I am glad there were at least a few caring people who knew the better way to get you taken care of! That is so scary! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am in Utah for a few weeks, let me know if I can bring you anything.

jake said...

I am glad you are doing alright now. That is scary! Does it feel weird not having a gallbladder?

Valerie said...

How scary! I'm glad you are okay. That is just a huge testimony of why everyone should get a second opinion. Can you imagine if you just let it go at that? What a confusing ordeal.