Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Weapons of Mass Lactation

Breastfeeding... whoever says this is the most natural thing in the world is full of bologna! Palmer is seven weeks old and we are still struggling with it. Yesterday he would not latch on. I tried everything, but he just screamed and screamed. I went over everything I had eaten in the last 24 hours, nothing that had bothered him before. Finally after hours had passed I gave him formula in a bottle and he scarfed it down like there was no tomorrow.

I have been feeding Palmer on demand. It is quite exhausting! Many mornings I feed him for a few hours straight. My friend Tennisa suggested the book Baby Wise to help us get on a schedule. I've been reading it and it sounds quite liberating, a life that is not determined by a baby's unpredictable schedule, sign me up! I decided I would start working it in this morning. The book says to feed every 2 1/2-3 hours. After Palmer's first feeding of the morning at 7:00 he was ready to eat only an hour later. I gave in after about 10 minutes of crying. That boy sure has me whipped. He proceeded to feed every 20 minutes to an hour (or scream) until 5:00 in the evening. He also refused to take a nap all day, which I was actually planning to nap with him today. I think he was mocking me and my new philosophy. Really, after the forth time of me trying to put him down for a nap he peed all over himself while I was changing his diaper. My eyes teared up and he laughed at me! I called Greg in tears asking him to come home instead of going to night classes so I could have a break. I need to be stronger. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

7 comments:

Nick, Sonja, Andrew, and Madelyn said...

I had the same problem with both kids. I didn't have enough milk for my first and the second had even less. I would breastfeed and then supplement with the bottle...you could try that. One thing I did too was pumped to see how much milk I was getting and then fed the baby a bottle to see how much they eat until they are satisfied. It's supposed to take a baby like 15 minutes to eat! Ha, with my slow milk it took hours! We did babywise with both kids and by 3 months both were sleeping through the night (I'm talking 10-12 hrs!). Don't give up on it! I gave the book to my neighbor and she swears by it too now. Sorry for the novel!

Jenn said...

Nursing is always hard and I remember having bad days. Hopefully that book helps. I have never read it but i have heard of it before. My sister also had to breastfeed and supplement too so maybe you will have to try both. Sorry it's so rough sometimes!

Tiffany said...

I bet he is going through a growth spurt. Our pediatritian warned us that around 6-8 weeks some babies seem like they are STARVING all the time. Nursing was the hardest thing for me in the beginning, but stick with it. It's worth it.

Molly Beckstead said...

Lera and Greg!!! Congrats on such a beautiful baby boy!!!!! Hang in there you can do it. I know how you feel.. feeding every hour, on the hour wipes you out. He could be going through a growth spurt?!?! I know it is hard to imagine but it WILL pass. Take care and Good luck

Mindy said...

Oh Lera, there are so many things no one tells you before you have kids. We should get together and write a tell-all. You know we would make millions! Like Tiffany said, could be a growth spurt. . . could also be you aren't making enough milk to fill the little guys tummy, like Sonja. . . with my kids, they just got bored I think. . .Sometimes kids just don't like to nurse. The girls quit at 6 months, both of them. Hang in there. Nursing as much as you can is better than not nursing at all. He also might not really want to nurse as much as he wants the comfort of having the boob. My aunt's kids used her as a pacifier, ans I swear, they were attached to her 24/7! I saw a woman on Oprah a while back, she wrote a book on how babies cry. There was a woman with a similar problem, she felt like she nursed all day. Within minutes of taking this author's approach, her baby stopped crying and was content! I wish I could remember her name. I'll try googling her for you. Until then, good luck, and if you ever need someone to vent to, I am all ears. Believe me, I have been there and I understand.

Tanya said...

lera, you know what's best for you and your baby. everyone is giving really good advice, but just take what you like about what everyone is saying and follow your insticts. i struggled nursing, and only nursed both my kids for about 2 weeks, so i'm no expert at all. but i do know that was right for me and i felt good about the decision i made, and they're both just fine. this may sound cheesy, but if you still are struggling you should pray about it, or better yet, get a blessing from your hubby. this may sound extreme, but who better to help you with your baby, than his heavenly father:) sorry so preachy, i'm usually not like this, and i usually don't leave this long of comments. sorry...

mj said...

sorry about all of that. I decided to skip the whole frustrating nursing thing and bottle feed Carter. Unfortunately Palmer is getting to the unhappy baby stage of sleep life. I got and followed the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" By Dr. Weissbluth. It really helped me get Carter on a sleep schedule, and understand why he was not sleeping and what his sleep needs are. Palmer is moving from sleeping all of the time on his own, to needing to be put down for naps every one to two hours. So that book might help too. Good luck!